fc7 vs f7 (was: Post-merge howto and FAQ)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu May 10 11:45:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 04:25:32AM -0700, Alex Lancaster wrote:
> On the subject of tags now that we're merged, shouldn't all references
> to "fc" ("Fedora Core") be replaced with "f" ("Fedora"), i.e.
>
> dist-fc7 -> dist-f7
> dist-fc8 -> dist-f8

That would be possible.

> and all new NVR for packages in f7 and later be of the form:
>
> foobar-1.2-3.f7
>
> rather than:
>
> foobar-1.2-3.fc7
>
> etc?  It seems a little odd to be carrying forward the "fc" when
> Fedora Core will cease to exist as of F7.

The problem is that f7 < fc6 for rpm, so the newer packages would
appear older to rpm.

Once FC6 goes EOL (e.g. in about 8 months) we could introduce a new
macro that would give f7/f8 etc disttags and every specfile that gets
touched for all non-EOL dists would get %{?dist} ->
%{?<newmacroname>}, so that fcX tags would slowly fade away. But that
would be at least another release cycle, e.g. by the summer 2008/F9.

Or we could start right away and have fc6 -> f6 in that transitional
scheme and hope that all packages will have been rebuilt by F8, so the
fc tags would vanish by end of this year. But I think this is very low
prio ATM.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net