Plan for tomorrows (20070510) FESCO meeting

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Fri May 11 11:20:41 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> I just want consistency. We ship about 40 pacakges afaics and we should
> apply the same rules to all out packages. I fail to understand why
> python is so special. It's IMHO not just about "python for zope": people
> might have apps from other sources compiled against python-2.4 installed
> on their system -- shipping a compat-python24 for one release gives them
> time to get those apps running after a update to F7 so they can migrate
> their software to python 2.5 over the next half year until we ship F8.

My thoughts exactly. I don't understand why python is so special. If
there's community interest in a compat package of an old version of
anything (gcc 3.2 for example. it mysteriously disappeared in FC-6 even
though the SRPM is in the repo), just let people work on the compat
packages. There's too much emphasis on "teaching upstream a lesson", and
literally NO emphasis on the interest to end-users. It sounds like some
of you are afraid that the word will spread about fedora shipping the
old python 2.4 and zope upstream maintainers will suddenly stop all
porting efforts. That's absurd.