Broken upgrade paths in F7

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 15 02:47:18 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:

> How does that fix the upgrade path?  It's no better than having an
> existing package with NVR less than FC/FE-6 functionally...  What good
> does that do?

It makes sure whatever packages that are in the repository are
upgradeable. That's the standard that we should set for the Fedora
repository. It gains us the trust of our end users on the quality of
software that we include and it's conveys the message to the maintainers
that their package simply won't be in the release unless they fix this.
The update system should also refuse to publish packages when the EVR is
broken. That's a pretty good incentive for everyone to do the right thing.

Upgrade paths are broken when packages are orphaned too. I would
consider any package where the maintainers haven't fix it to even
upgrade from previous versions properly as effectively orphaned.

Rahul