Broken upgrade paths in F7

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue May 15 07:52:03 UTC 2007

On 15.05.2007 09:26, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> Pulled off how?  They are already broken...
>> Pull off the repository for Fedora 7 release.  Please consider upgrade
>> paths as release blockers.
> Avoid broken upgrade paths like the plague. They bear a big risk of
> breaking Yum dist-upgrades, which in turn give burnt users a good
> opportunity to bash Fedora. [...]

Agreed, but that's a general problem, and not that specific to release
time as the upgrade path against the released F7 might break soon after
F7 was released anyway. Example:

F7 release time has this in the repos:

 * F6 repo: foo-1.1-4.fc6.i386.rpm
 * F7 repo and on the media: foo-1.1-4.fc7.i386.rpm

two weeks later foo got a update:

 * F6 repo: foo-1.1-6.fc6.i386.rpm
 * F7 repo: foo-1.1-6.fc7.i386.rpm

The F7 isos of course still has foo-1.1-4.fc7.i386.rpm; so if someone
has a full up2date F6-system two weeks after F7 got released and then
does the upgrade from F6 to F7 with the media he won't get foo updated
anyway. He'll get it with the first "yum update" after the dist upgrade.

So we need to *always* make sure the upgrade path is proper, not only at
release time. As such I think Rahul is shooting way over the top with
pulling them from the repo, as that creates even more trouble for users.

CU
thl