Broken upgrade paths in F7

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Tue May 15 14:20:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 08:43 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> We've been over this before Ralf.  Things change.  It's not a
>> regression, it's a change in workflow.
>
> It's an undocumented insane regression in workflow  and a mistake of
> release engineering - IMO, it's yet another case of RH having out-ruling
> a once functional practice and replaced it with something not helpful to
> external contributors.

  Not helpful to external contributors?  Let me pick that claim apart.

1. Us external contributors can now sign up to work on former-Core
packages.

2. Former-Core packages can now BR/link against former-Extras packages.

3. Things are no longer hidden behind Red Hat's internal,
at-least-somewhat-proprietary buildsystem.  Everything's in the open.

4. I know at least one non-employee of Red Hat works on improving and
managing Koji (i.e., this isn't part of the Grand Red Hat Conspiracy).

5. The development freezes have been done before, they just were enforced
quite poorly in Extras.  Downside: More restrictions for former-Extras.
Upside: Extras packages are no longer "second-class citizens."

  Need I continue?

      Jima

(also a non-RH employee)