Broken upgrade paths in F7

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue May 15 15:13:07 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 10:58:59 Patrice Dumas wrote:
> I think that there should be something done for the freeze and releases,
> but I am not happy with the current state, because it adds burden
> without real gain. It seems to me that the contributors should tag
> themselves what they think belongs to the release, and release engineer
> should only veto things they find unwise and/or ask on fedora-devel or
> fedora-maintainers for clarifications for packages they'd like to veto.
>
> How many tag to the release were rejected?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not completely happy with this process for the
final freeze either.  This was an experiment for the Fedora 7 release, and it
went really well for the test release freezes.  I agree that the final freeze
should be done differently, however I didn't want to change it at this point.

Asking how many were rejected isn't quite fair.  It's not the people who are
asking for tagging that I'm concerned with, it's the people who just don't
realize we're in a freeze and happily drop in a soname bump that breaks a ton
of packages or other such acts without noticing that we're in a freeze and
doing such can cause problems with the release.  This has happened in the
past, I'm not just being overly paranoid.  I very much want there to be less
overhead, and I welcome any effort into the workflow that gets us there, but
at the same time we have to be able to manage a freeze and have control over
what gets in and what doesn't.  Striking the balance is very difficult to do.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora