Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue May 15 16:31:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 12:11 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 17:00 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 10:16:27AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > >
> > > See above.  They go out as an update to Fedora 7 and thus get a nice
> > > announcement and such.
> >
> > Will there be a way to short-circuit the announcement and just update,
> > like it was possible before?
>
> Holy Zod, no. No no no. Very no.
>
> There will be no more silent updating of packages without explanation
> or at least a *chance* for testing.
What you call testing, I call locking out updates and bug-fixes
== regression

> Yeah, I know this makes putting out updates slightly harder,

== regression

>  but in my
> opinion the fact that we ever allowed this at all was a massive
> oversight, not a design feature.

I disagree. Release early, release often is a feature, now you are
spoiling one of the fundamental working principles of Fedora.

> We will have to work slightly harder in order to Do The Right Thing for
> our users, to ensure package sanity and overall distribution stability.
We will see and I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, but I have seen
too many project failing because some "test/release engineers" throught
they could outweigh the "testing capability of the masses".

> Those are our goals, and I hope you'll agree that they're worth working
> for.
Who is your? I presume it's RH

Ralf