Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue May 15 17:15:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:59:51 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 12:31:00 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > I disagree. Release early, release often is a feature, now you are
> > spoiling one of the fundamental working principles of Fedora.
> >
> > > We will have to work slightly harder in order to Do The Right Thing for
> > > our users, to ensure package sanity and overall distribution stability.
> >
> > We will see and I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, but I have seen
> > too many project failing because some "test/release engineers" throught
> > they could outweigh the "testing capability of the masses".
>
> Yeah, our users just want to continue seeing Fedora as one big beta for RHEL
> right?  Who cares if we toss half-ass packages over the wall and it breaks
> for large majorities of our userbase.  We'll just fix it soon enough and
> they'll deal right?  Who cares about the stability of our distribution.
> </sarcasm>

Eh? What has this comment to do here? Or have you realised that too many
users are burnt by the frequent updates and upgrades that are pushed out
to Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6? That is the #1 complaint by users who
have wandered off to Ubuntu, for example. Released Updates which break
something badly. Wrapped into nice words in good-looking update
announcements, which advertise everything but the regression and
breakage. How does that help us? The testing is missing, not the
announcements.

Anyway, I wonder what this has to do with a sudden and late freeze of
Extras' packages?