Broken upgrade paths in F7

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 15 17:42:59 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> The F7 isos of course still has foo-1.1-4.fc7.i386.rpm; so if someone
> has a full up2date F6-system two weeks after F7 got released and then
> does the upgrade from F6 to F7 with the media he won't get foo updated
> anyway. He'll get it with the first "yum update" after the dist upgrade.
>
> So we need to *always* make sure the upgrade path is proper, not only at
> release time.

I think you missed out a part of what I said which was confined to the
release. The updates system should check for this and refuse to publish
if a sane update path doesn't exist from a previous release.

As such I think Rahul is shooting way over the top with
> pulling them from the repo, as that creates even more trouble for users.

Package is broken. Maintainer refuses to fix it. Others are not
interested. Pulling the packages is the right way to go since they are
implicitly orphaned packages. What alternative are you suggesting?

Rahul