Broken upgrade paths in F7

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue May 15 19:08:49 UTC 2007

> >> That's all well and good for this specific instance but I am talking
> >> more about a general policy. How are you going to handle instances where
> >> maintainers refuse to cooperate? Step in and workaround them or consider
> >> the packages orphaned and pull them off?
> >
> > I have no energy to discuss some theoretical policy for a situation that
> > should hopefully not occur more than a few times.  I'm not saying you're
> > wrong to address that, however.  If you would like to have a discussion
> > on that, please start a new thread.  It's not a discussion or policy
> > that will be finalized before F7 releases.
>
> I guess that depends on things like whether Ralf wants to follow the
> freeze process or not.

No, it doesn't.  Making a general policy to solve the current situation
will not be accomplished through the proper channels before Thursday,
which is when Deep Freeze occurs.  Creating such a general policy
_cannot_ be rushed.  It needs to be drafted, posted to -maintainers,
solicited for feedback, revised, and sent to FESCo.

For this current situation, Ralf has already stated that he feels it is
rel-eng's responsibility to fix the upgrade paths for his packages.  At
best, Ralf will submit a request himself.  In the middle, he'll be
agreeable to another maintainer doing it on his behalf.  At worst,
someone from rel-eng can do it with a bit of proper research.  I am
prepared to do that as it seems to be the only way to solve this at the
moment.

josh