Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue May 15 20:48:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 01:35:04PM -0400, Will Woods wrote:

> So, what I hear you saying is that - regardless of whether users want it
> or not - it's not worth *your* time to fill in the blanks on a short
> message saying:

I am not saying that. Not at all. I am saying that it should be up to
the maintainer to decide whether it is better for the users to fill
annoucements or work on another thing.

And not only, most maintainers are benevolent so if somebody wants
to make announcements when another maintainer doesn't want it could
be possible, but once again not mandatory for the primary maintainer.
Of course for security fixes and things like that the maintainer
could be obliged to do an announcement, but if he is already
packaging for fedora he will do it without being forced.

>   package-1.2.3-4.fc7 is a (bugfix,enhancement,security) update
>   which (adds the following features, fixes the following bugs):
>
> We could even auto-fill the message from the changelog entries. Or..
> maybe you also have better things to work on than adding changelog
> entries to your RPMS?

Sometimes I don't add a changelog entry when it isn't useful. Still best
judgement.

> How about comments? Maybe I think I have better things to do than to
> comment my code. Documentation, too.

Sometimes it is better to work on the code and postpone documentation.
There is no simple response to choices in the time allocation.

> Look, here's the bottom line: people want to know what's changed when
> you update packages on their systems. We can work together to make it
> easy for you to provide this information. Let's work together to make
> the infrastructure better rather than just refusing to use it.

I am not refusing to use it I disagree with this being mandatory. I will
use it, of course, I care about my users. But I also care about my time.
And last we are capable of best judgement without being forced.

--
Pat