Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 15 21:34:08 UTC 2007

Patrice Dumas wrote:

>> Have you looked at how many major regressions we have
>> for every release?
>
> Not precisely.

Please do. This is a QA process and to understand the need for it you
need to know what drives it. Spend sometime reading through end users
forums.

>> Exceptions can go through release engineering/QA team.
>
> I don't think this is useful. The maintainer will always know better
> (with the knowledge of the QA guidelines) and in case he doesn't know
> he should be able to ask by himself.

You can't rely on maintainers always knowing better. Again this doesn't
scale.

  In the cases when he did a
> mistake, somebody with the right powers could still remove the package
> but I am sure that this would be very rare. If it is not rare then we
> are not selecting the maintainers enough.

For the major portion of Fedora, we don't select maintainers. They
choose to volunteer. When mistakes are made a lot of end users would be
affected and it would be too late to be removing packages.

In the general case packages would automatically be pushed. If you are
going to request exceptions that would be a relatively rare thing and
doesn't add much of a burden. A burden which is necessary because it
provides us a chance to reduce broken stuff getting pushed out.

Rahul