Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue May 15 21:36:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 03:04:08AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Please do. This is a QA process and to understand the need for it you
> need to know what drives it. Spend sometime reading through end users
> forums.

I don' have the time to do so. But I experience the regressions as a
user though.

> You can't rely on maintainers always knowing better. Again this doesn't
> scale.

We have to, otherwise it doesn't scale. Having to go through release
maintainers, in my opinion, scales less well than educating people we
sponsor.

> For the major portion of Fedora, we don't select maintainers. They
> choose to volunteer.

No, we sponsor them, that means that we select them.

> When mistakes are made a lot of end users would be
> affected and it would be too late to be removing packages.
>
> In the general case packages would automatically be pushed. If you are
> going to request exceptions that would be a relatively rare thing and
> doesn't add much of a burden. A burden which is necessary because it
> provides us a chance to reduce broken stuff getting pushed out.

I don't think it is necessary to go through a team for pushing things
out. Of course it could be exceptions and the default could be to push
things in the uppdate repo where they are released automatically as you
describe above, but tthis should only be default not something
mandatory.

As a side note, what should be mandatory would be for sponsors to watch
the people they sponsored (not for their whole life, but until the
sponsor feels that the sponsoree is knowlegable enough), but that's
another issue.

--
Pat