Updates System

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:58:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 09:37 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Thus I would like to voice my concern over the web-form part of this.
> Preferably this would be handled in the makefile and when typing "make build"
> for a non-devel branch my $EDITOR would get launched opening a pre-filled
> template update anouncement, where I can add the necessary bits, and then upon
> saving this gets automatically entered into the updates system.
>
> Basicly every step added to the process is one too much, thus we should try to
> not add any steps if not absolutely necessary. Don't get me wrong, I'm not
> against using a proper updates scheme instead of the rolling model of extras
> (although that always worked well for me). But the whole workflow should be
> made as smooth as possible, as smooth as baby's buttocks preferably.

Would a curses-style interface work for you?  It looks like it would be
pretty easy to write a simple tui in python that first has you fill in
the fields similar to the web form, pops open your editor on a temp file
to enter/edit some freeform text, and then submits it to the update
system using JSON-RPC.  Authenticating using the SSL certs might be a
bit harder but we could use passwords until that is resolved.

-Toshio