Policy for backporting patches?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed May 16 10:46:44 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 04:42:26 Martin Sourada wrote:
> I'd like to ask whether there is any policy for backporting patches from
> mainstream when redhat bugzilla is not filled against the problem fixed by
> the patch?

My personal opinion, if its a security bug, data corrupter, or something
important that doesn't work, I'd say go ahead and patch it. There's nothing
to prevent you from filing the bug yourself and then fixing it. A lot of
people here in Red Hat do just that if its something that can't be done right
away, is important, or needs to be part of an errata.

hth,
-Steve