Update System: Not Rawhide

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu May 17 03:12:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 17:02 -0700, Chris Weyl wrote:
> On 5/16/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 May 2007 19:02:13 Chris Weyl wrote:
> > > Can't we branch before freeze? Wouldn't that obviate the need for
> > > freezing rawhide?
> >
> > I do believe the future plan is to let folks branch when they need to, since
> > not everybody wants to have yet another branch to apply fixes to for the last
> > month+ of a release.
>
> In such a scenario, would packages that branch prior to a mandated
> "must branch by" date still find themselves frozen in devel?  If so,
> it wouldn't seem to help much...  One would think we'd pursue this
> sort of pre-freeze branching, as it would probably tend to get people
> in the mindset of "hey, this isn't me noodling around in rawhide
> anymore, but a package targeted for actual release".

devel wouldn't be frozen; what collection the tree currently known as
rawhide will follow, well.. that's a harder call.  We get a lot of
benefit by having rawhide match the upcoming release due to the large
number of users testing the tree and shaking out problems.  If rawhide
diverged earlier, we'd see a substantial drop in the number of testers
and thus the number of things found late in the game.

It's definitely a discussion that's worth having once we get F7 wrapped
up, although probably more on fedora-devel-list rather than here (so
that more people can be involved)

Jeremy