De-sucking the packaging documentation

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Thu May 17 12:39:23 UTC 2007

Chip Coldwell wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2007, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>
>> The current state of documentation about the buildsystem, tagging,
>> releases etc sucks.
>
> +1
+1

> I think some of the blame should also be assigned to a rather
> ambitious set of goals for F7, i.e. doing the core/extras merge and
> EPEL at the same time as a release.  Actually, does anyone else see
> any irony in the fact that Fedora is merging core+extras at the same
> time that RHEL is adding extras?
No, Fedora Core and Fedora Extras are just about always used together.

EPEL is designed for items that are not maintained for RHEL but may be
useful in an EL enviroment, like nagios, powerman or maybe even wine.

I very much doubt we'd even see a RHEL+EPEL merge ;)

>> The nearest thing to helpful is Josh Boyer's FAQ, but that's only
>> findable if you've been keeping up with this mailing list.
>
> Where is it?
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/JoshBoyer/MergeHOWTO

N.J.