odd file-requires in f7 packages

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 17 18:49:04 UTC 2007

Hi folks,
 I sifted through all the file-requires in f7 from here:
  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/static-repos/f7-final-current/i386/

and I generated this list:
http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/what-requires-crazy-files.txt

the format it:
 requiring-package:/file/it/requires

The point of this list is to figure out why we have all these
file-requires. A number of them seem downright silly and I think they
need to be evaluated.

The fewer file-requires that are outside of:

/etc/*
*bin/*

the less often yum needs to look at complete filelists. This means less
downloading for our users and less time wasted looking up things which
are probably easier with a made-up provide.

We discourage odd file-requires in the packaging guidelines and I'm just
following up on some of them.

comments/criticisms welcome and expected. :)

-sv