Broken upgrade paths in F7

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri May 18 13:48:26 UTC 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007 09:40:06 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > There is a README in the package, not great, but a start.
>
> May-be helpful when being familiar with koji, but right now, what's
> really urgently missing is a "Getting started with koji and Fedora"
> and "Getting started with koji for plague users".

A couple wiki pages were posted for FAQ like things, which is a great
opportunity for you to ask the questions you need answered so that we can
document it.

> Also, IMO, --nowait should be made default. Not using it is really
> nagging (I only knew about it, because somebody else already had
> complained and you had mentioned it some time last week).

The reason it isn't made default is that there is no converse of it,
IE --wait.  So by making it not default it gives users the opportunity to
either use it if they like, or add a --nowait flag to disable it.  One can't
have it disabled by default and force a way to have it actually wait.

> > > perl-modules built flawlessly in a local fc7-mock ("make mock"), but
> > > failed in koji ("make build").
> >
> > That's not helpful. You have logs,
>
> No, because koji doesn't email build results (another regression in
> comparison to plague - These emails are very useful because they can be
> archived.).

Hrm, Koji emails the owner of the package being built by default.  It goes to
<username>@fedoraproject.org.  Are you not getting mail sent to the address
you have configured in your Fedora Account ?

> This is the koji entry documenting the breakdown
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=6550
>
> A "make mock" in "devel" on FC6 issued ca. 10-20 mins before the
> breakdown (with the exact sources as above) did not exhibit anything.
>
> >  why don't they build right?
>
> The origin was a missing "BR: perl(..." (fixed in *-2), an oversight on
> my part mine, I didn't notice in advance, because "make mock" did
> exhibit the issue.
>
> The only explanation I have is an inconsistency between "koji's repo"
> and "rawhide" probably related to the perl package.

Yes, that can happen.  Builds happen during the day which alter the buildroot
and drift from the previous night's rawhide.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora