Comments in spec files (was Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070517) FESCO meeting)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue May 22 12:47:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Bill Nottingham wrote:

>> Is anyone reporting these as "things we shouldn't have to care about" to
>> rpm-maint@ or the appropriate bugzilla?
>
> It's somewhat tricky to fix - you're asking rpm-the-parser to either
> a) elide anything that starts with '#' from all scriplets, even though
> it may be valid in some interpreter
> b) conditionally elide it based on what the scriplet interpreter is
>
> Not sure it's 100% worth the change from stupid-but-predictable.

Yup, I don't think it's worth it. To really fix it you'd need ending
tags for the scripts, eg

%preun
%endpreun

or something. Not sure if that's worth the trouble either :)

Just advice in the packaging guidelines to write scriptlet comments *in*
the script where needed, using the scriptlet interpreters comment format.

 	- Panu -