keeping spare-time-contributors happy

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Tue Sep 4 07:18:57 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 23:46:44 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>

>>> [hans at ...  FC-6] make build
>>>
>>> <or oops forgotten>
>>> <some time later, hey a bugzilla ticket why I never build foo for FC-6>
>>>
>> Ohh? I am permanently nagged with mails reminding me about EVR problesm
>> with packages between FC-6 and FC-7, because I can't push them for FC-7
>> because, I could not find them in bodhi.
>>

> That is because of a premature roll-out of the new updates system [1]
> where you are expected to enter the full src.rpm %name of each of your
> builds before the auto-completion would list them with full NEVR.
>
> Honestly, I have no idea how the major package contributors like Hans
> handle that for their many a dozen packages. ESR would have run wild.
>
> [1] Which otherwise comes with several good features, such as a web
> ui and announcement mails.
>
> --

I'm a spare-time contributor too and i happy about bodhi, I think there
is a need for a tool like that and i think i have some good features.
* link to bugzilla reports, that get updated when a package is push to
testing & stable.
* update notes.
* testers can comment the update.
* easy push to testing & stable & unpush

I only maintain a couple of packages so i don't have any problems, but i
can see that for people there maintain a lot of packages, there need
to be taken some steps to make there life easier.
* Command line tool to submit updates to bodhi, there can be integrated
with the CVS Makefile
   Allready in works.
   https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi/browser/tools/bodhi.py
* Better package lookup when adding new updates.
I have created a local bodhi instance (
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi/wiki/Development)
and tested the latest upstream code, the typeahead lookup is much better.
But the easiest way would be a button on the package build in koji to
launch a populated new update in bodhi.
This has to be done in koji.
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi/ticket/36

I have asked Luke, where i can help and i have started to checkout the
code and is started to hack on some of the open tickets.
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi/report/1

Tim