mailinglists reorganization (was: Re: This list isn't working out. Or, why do we have fedora-devel and fedora-maintainers)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Sep 5 05:23:28 UTC 2007

On 04.09.2007 22:18, Till Maas wrote:
> On Di September 4 2007, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
>> Apparently, asking this list was the wrong way to get things done.  How
>> do we really do this?  Does this need to be proposed to some group?
>> Does this need to come up for vote at some meeting?  How do we actually
>> cut the life support here?
>
> Afaik should FESCO decision and knurd know more, because he proposed a
> reorganization of the mailinglists a long time ago.

Well, the last time was about six weeks ago on fab-list. But I stopped
to work further on this (and told the board about it in private) after
that because

- the board simply made decisions before the proposal actually was
discussed in public on fedora-devel-list. This is a community project
and if the Board or another Committee makes decisions before the
community discussed something there is something totally wrong IMHO

- many people from FAB (mainly Board or FESCO members) wanted different
things -- each time the proposal was discussed it was directed into a
different direction by different people, killing ideas that were agreed
on in earlier discussion. Such a moving target is hard to hit (I knew it
would be hard to get the community to accept the reorganization, but I
didn't expect the Board/FAB to say "a" two days ago, "b" today and "c
(which doesn't work together with 'a')" the next day -- I'm not willing
to invest my spare time for such a moving target)

- I got the impression that the Board only wanted to pamper over some
annoyances instead of fixing the underlying problems, which is not what
I wanted

- some more, minor reasons

> It was delayed because
> someone wanted to combine this with moving to @fedoraproject.org adresses /
> an own mailserver for Fedora, but now there is no hardware available for
> this.

Well, the more important reasons was: F7 was more important back then
and bound all energy, so I didn't drive it further.

CU
knurd

P.S.:Yes, if you read carefully you'll see lot of frustration between
the words. Contributing to the Fedora project has become way more harder
over the past months and "what contributors and users want" IMHO is not
getting enough attention. Getting something done without investing much
time or being in the Committee that makes the final decisions is way to
hard in a lot of areas, as the Committee-Members use their power way to
much (yes, I realize that all of this was already becoming a problem
when I was FESCo chair; I tried to work against that back then, but I
know I could have done better).

IOW: I think I'm on my way out of Fedora slowly if it doesn't get better
again. Sure, some of the things are "growing pains", but they seem to
not be addressed to me.

P.P.S.: I'm willing to work again on the mailing list reorganization if
it's getting discussed on fedora-devel and Board and FESCO members raise
any concerns there not after that discussion in their meetings when the
stuff comes up for votings  (e.g. no freaking next-to-endless-loops like
"foo> I had not time to participate in the public discussion, but I
totally don't like (a part of it|the whole idea)" "chair> okay, then we
don't decide on it and move the discussion back to the list and request
that foo's concerns get addressed")

/me now really need to go to work -- lots to do today...