UN body releases desktop Linux guide

Jeremy Hogan jhogan at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 14:16:11 UTC 2004

"A UN-funded organisation has produced a Linux desktop user guide to
encourage the take-up of Linux in developing countries

A Linux desktop manual for novice PC users has been produced by a
UN-funded organisation, the International Open Source Network (IOSN).
The manual has been produced to encourage developing countries to use
open-source software. It includes basic information on how to manage
files, browse the Web and produce OpenOffice documents on a Linux PC.

The manual explains how to use Fedora, the Red Hat-sponsored community
Linux distribution, although Abraham admits that that some stakeholders
had strong views on the subject. "Our choice of Fedora was
controversial. I think it is the least frightening version of Linux to a
new user, but others have disagreed with me." Abraham stressed that the
IOSN does not endorse this distribution over others.

The Linux manual has been released under the Creative Commons
Attribution License to allow other organisations to copy and distribute
the work."

(more)
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39164367,00.htm