Fedora on redhat.com

Jeremy Hogan jhogan at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 22:37:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 18:11, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 10:15, Jeremy Hogan wrote:
> > So we're finally giving Fedora significant prominence on redhat.com.
>
> www.redhat.com ?

Yep. Our site design is changing, and Fedora gets it's own upper level
nav. That gives a mini-home page for fedora, that positions it and sends
the user to fedora.redhat.com.

> Shouldn't the links be kept at the fedora.redhat.com site? And the new
> URL that points there should be used, rather than keeping a few links
> sitting on www.redhat.com itself ?

Maybe, except I have zero direct control over fedora.redhat.com, whereas
a traffic request let's me update rh.com. Maybe instead of those sorts
of sites, a widget box that deep links into FAQs, Downloads, and
projects like the utility links in the upper right of fedora.redhat.com.

> > What should those sites be? These would be unofficially official (whilst
> > still being officially unofficial), so they should be 4 or 5 sites we're
> > the most comfortable pointing folks at.
>
> Fedora Legacy - www.fedoralegacy.org
> Fedora Unofficial FAQ - www.fedorafaq.org *
> FedoraNEWS.ORG - www.fedoranews.org
> FedoraForums - www.fedoraforums.org
>
> * - should we start taking the effort to getting the Fedora Docs project
> to organise the FAQ, i.e. we consolidate it to our main site at
> fedora.redhat.com ?

Yeah, whatever makes us most comfortable with pointing users there.

> Also, from a usability standpoint, a newbie might go, "what's a FAQ?".
> So we should try "Frequently Asked Questions" as a link on the main site
> (rather than unofficial FAQ)...

Yeah, the links have space for text explaining them.

--jeremy