Feedback on Fedora Core 4 test 2 review

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Wed Apr 27 21:00:00 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:

>Sure, there is some stuff for desktop, however the release itself was
>not completely geared for desktop.  There was plenty in the release that
>has no business on a desktop system.

I have to agree with you on that one, Jesse.  It wasn't a
perfectly-tailored desktop.  But one of the neat things about Red Hat
Linux was that they gave you so much more than what would be needed for
a desktop.  That's why I was so enamored of RHL.

>>While I am strongly pro-Red Hat, I'm another who felt a little bit
>>abandoned
>>when RH9.0 went end-of-life.  The Fedora community does well for
>>support,
>>but it is not a substitute for having someone who will receive your
>>email
>>and promises to deliver an answer.
>>

>This I always questioned.  At what time could you get Red Hat Technical
>Support for a Red Hat Linux product?  (not Red Hat Professional or Red
>Hat Enterprise, Red Hat Linux).

Well, I know that support was available for Red Hat 8.0 because I bought
the boxed set and received the 30 days of email support.  I actually had
occasion to use it and found that I got what I needed.  Support was also
provided as far back as v 5.2 (the first release I tried) although I
never had to use it then.  I recall some higher levels of support you
could pay for.

After the thirty days, you had to pay $60 a year (or more depending on
support level) for continued support and updates.  Signing on was easy
online, but signing off was a challenge (to do so, one had to send a
registered letter 60 days prior to expiration to Red Hat's address in
North Carolina.).

If you are curious, I can try to dig out the specific data from my old
package.

>And if you look at the release history of Fedora Core, it has been about
>every 6 months.  The range is 4 to 8 months, and we just happen to land
>on 6~ for the first four releases....

I think I stand corrected on that one, Jesse.  I was working on the 3-4
month target that I remembered reading from the Web site, but I might
not be remembering correctly.  Apologies for getting it wrong.

Erik