Feedback on Fedora Core 4 test 2 review

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 05:05:26 UTC 2005

Hi

>While I am strongly pro-Red Hat, I'm another who felt a little bit abandoned
>when RH9.0 went end-of-life.  The Fedora community does well for support,
>but it is not a substitute for having someone who will receive your email
>and promises to deliver an answer.

Its not possible to get an SLA for Fedora from Red Hat. People who want to sign up for SLA's usually also want a very long support lifecycle.  Trying to satisfy the customers who wanted longer release and support lifecycles and people want a spanky new Linux desktop was a tough balance. Red Hat decided to fork it up. It looked like a pretty rational decision to me though not everyone would agree with it. So calling the transition from Red Hat Linux to Fedora Project "treacherous" was hard to disgest.

>This depends on your point of view.  A release every six months to a year is
>preferable to me than a new release every three months or so, especially
>when there's a very significant change.

Fedora releases are currently about every 6 months or so. add up Fedora
Legacy and you might even get a better lifecycle.

>Where can someone discover basic data about new features?  I'd want for
>something less than a tutorial and more than a release note.  I had little
>idea about what hal, dbus, etc. were before installing and experimenting.

Red Hat Magazine (http://redhat.com/magazine) has some of the details.
I had the same idea about having a more end user friendly version of the
release notes ( think: GNOME release notes) which I suggested on the
fedora-docs list . I suspect I might have to do it myself. Of course any
help on this would be most welcome

>>Efforts to improve bootup speed using bootchart [2] and
>>things like GDM early login [3]
>>

>If this is intended to allow login prior to a full bootup, I hope that users
>can disable it.  If the intent is to make the computer more like Windows,
>it's no help.  This is one user's opinion:  allowing a user access to the
>desktop and applications does no good if the infrastructure isn't working
>yet.
>
>This is one of my significant complaints about Windows.  I am allowed to
>start applications, such as my email reader, before it is able to operate
>(because network connections are not up yet).  When I try to do something,
>like download email, the client encounters an error and I have to wait
>longer for the failed action to timeout.  In other cases, actions like
>opening files take longer (because the system is busy in the background) and
>the result is a system that at best appears bloated and sluggish.

Read this and subsequent discussions :
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-April/msg00416.html

I believe it would answer all your questions and yes it can be switched
off and the process does require significant changes to the start up
scripts and the right balance to not reproduce any of the Windows boot
up issues you have pointed out. Currently the development tree has a
rough cut. I trust the developers will get it done right before Fedora
Core 4 is released

regards