Someone's missing the point...it's us.

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Fri Aug 12 17:25:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 18:39 +0200, Thijs Hulshof wrote:

>         I like that one, very bullet-pointy and identifies an
>         immediate
>         "vertical".  "Teaching and learning Linux."  Any others?
>
> Not everyone wants to learn things about Linux. Example: My dad is
> running Fedora Core without problems, but he isn't really interested
> in computers.
>
> "Teaching and learning Linux." - and when you've learnt things about
> Linux with Fedora, you should move to another distribution ??

It's one use where I personally feel that Fedora really stands out from
Ubuntu and OpenSUSE, which are the obvious alternatives ("competitors"
is probably not the best way of thinking about it).

> I understand what you mean, but maybe others don't (that can cause a
> new image-problem).
>
> I think we should focus on:
>  - "Normal" users, those who just want to use the internet,
> OpenOffice.org, etc. without problems.

Bear in mind, though, that normal users don't install operating systems.
If Fedora is on a normal user's PC then somebody else to chose to
install it on the machine instead of the alternatives (perhaps over the
top of an existing Windows install).

"Home desktops that you maintain for other people" is definitely another
common use case.  Personally I feel that Fedora is currently less suited
to this than some other distros.  For example, the quantity of updates
is problematic for systems with dial-up connections.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA