Wording of Legal Issues myth

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Aug 21 08:31:16 UTC 2005

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 23:54 -0500, Patrick Barnes wrote:
>

>>The only real problem with those new changes is that ForbiddenItems does
>>not and will not point users to other third-party plugins.  The
>>technologies it refers to are part of Fedora Core and Extras, and it
>>will not point to sources for proprietary plugins.  It only makes a
>>vague reference to using Google.  That last bit of your changes will
>>only serve to mislead users who may already be frustrated.  Because of
>>this, I will remove that small bit.
>>

>There's both the bit about google and the bit about checking
>fedorafaq.org.  IMHO we have to address the fact that people may need to
>use a specific format rather than an alternate.  To do that we have to
>let them know that they can install plugins from third parties to make
>that happen.  This can either be through the methods suggested at the
>bottom of ForbiddenItems (indirect and possibly frustrating but it gets
>people to scan through the list of legal problems and their OSS
>alternatives on their way to a solution) or by placing some portion of
>that information directly in FedoraMyths (such as my original
>suggestion.  Can you come up with some variant of that which satisfies
>your desire to not duplicate information on ForbiddenItems?)
>
>-Toshio

I fail to see what you say we lack.  We specify very specific
alternative formats on the ForbiddenItems page.  These are formats that
are already supported by the media players in Fedora Core.  There is no
need for users to install third-party plugins in order to gain support
for these formats.  If a person needs a format not currently supported
by the programs in Core, they are likely seeking proprietary formats,
which we will not point them to.  The information currently on the wiki
fully expresses the situation and cannot be expanded much more without
potentialy creating legal concerns.  The information on the
ForbiddenItems page specifies formats that people can use.  It is beyond
the scope of these wiki documents to detail how a user can make use of
the alternative formats.  If you would like to write a how-to for users
who are interested in using these alternative formats, you can do so.
We will not direct users on how to use the proprietary formats or how to
convert files from those formats to the alternatives, nor will we tell
them how to add support for those formats, as doing so may violate the
laws that govern Fedora and Red Hat.  If you wish to write a guide for
the alternates, you must keep this in mind.  I would strongly encourage
you to work with someone on the Docs Project if you wish to do this.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com