fedora websites

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 14:13:41 UTC 2005

On 12/08/05, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 10:54 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>

> > > Where may I find out about localised versions of the main Fedora web
> > > page? (That is, translations into e.g. German, French, Italian,
> > > Polish, etc.)  Is a project working on that?
> >
> > Another good point.  To the best of my knowledge, there's not a thing
> > going on in this regard.  A potentially very obvious reason why Fedora is
> > ignored in much of the world.
>
> Just don't let anyone start translating it yet!
>
> I don't see how we can translate the Wiki, considering how often it
> changes.

The Wiki is not the "main Fedora web page".

I believe that if you want to foster the creation and growth of local
communities and if you want to reduce language barriers,
fedora.redhat.com must offer translations for a few major languages.
Localised content, which also points users (and in particular newbies
who look for quickstart information) to the non-English mailing-lists
[1] in a really prominent place. And what was possible with
fedoraforum.org could be repeated with fedoraforum.de, for instance.

Btw, a German Fedora Wiki, albeit an unofficial one, exists already, [2].