Linux User Groups

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 08:17:53 UTC 2005

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> So I've got a question.
>
> What should our relationship with LUGs be?

I personally think that, in the UK certainly, the idea of a few Fedora
rep's is a good idea. People that can travel to 2/3 different LUGs in
their area and give talks, hand out CD's, etc.

I think the idea of selling stuff to the Linux User Groups is a mixed
bag - I think CD's and maybe the odd freebie or two (keyrings, stickers,
etc) should be 'free' (i.e. if one of the rep's talks at a LUG, they get
  a set number of freebies to hand out). T-Shirts and stuff should
obviously be purchased by the individuals that want them.

LUG's in the UK don't really have much money, if any at all.

> There are hundreds of LUGs worldwide.  How should we be reaching out to
> them?

Appearance at community events, free CD's, people giving talks, the
usual really... I think a 'hands off' approach of 'we're here if you
want us' is better than a full on LUG assault.

Thoughts?

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169