Desktop Linux

Marc Wiriadisastra marc.w at smlintl.com.au
Thu Aug 18 01:08:11 UTC 2005

> We have to make it easy for people to migrate from the Windows UI
> regardless of its flaws. We dont need to create a perfect clone. That
> would be monumentally stupid but we can try and understand what makes
> the current UI a higher learning curve. My opinion is that data
> migration is of a even higher priority than UI similarity. GNOME and KDE
> is comfortably close now.  There are other points like installing legacy
> group by default which is trivially easy. Lets say you try to install
> Real player (ignore for the moment that its a proprietary player, a open
> source off repository player will do the same thing) on Fedora Core 4,
> you will get a obscure error about some .so file missing which you will
> have to rectify by using installing a compat libstdc++ library.

I agree with this whole heartedly however the problem is people like to
download a file and then *install* it I like the fact of compiling but
thats me.  An average user would not want to compile a program.  Plus
even when compiling e.g. mplayer there are all different files/codecs
that can and can't /shouldn't be used  I think that while we stress the
packaging system thats all we really can do since we do not have control
over the creators.

> Precisely.  So lets look at the action items here
>
> * Install the legacy group in Anaconda by default for better backward
> compatibility. The Fedora Extras repository is not going to cover every
> software out there.
> * Mount FAT filesystems by default in first boot.  (NTFS is off limits)
> * Investigate a tool like openmover.sf.net for data migration after
> confirmation with user on first boot
> * Trim down core to defaults as much as possible

There was a script and I'll try to find it that goes through your
harddrives and finds different partitions and mounts them under
the /media folder.  I possibly think that in addition to this it could
be added to Places in gnome. I'm not sure if it automagicallly does this
however if it doesn't may some editing of the file can help.

I'll try and find that bash script and add it to another post.

Regards,

Marc