Interesting online locations to buy or listen to ogg vorbis or flac.. legally

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 14:40:56 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>Moving discussion from the -devel-list...
>
>On 8/22/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>

>>>   I'd argue,  however,  that "positive propaganda" is the right
>>>strategy here too:  if RH (and much of the OS community) takes the
>>>principled stand of providing a free media stack,  it ought to put a
>>>little bit of energy into promoting free media formats -- for
>>>instance,  it would be nice to see a web site promoting the Ogg Vorbis
>>>streams that are out there,  just as there are sites promoting the SBR
>>>heresy...
>>>
>>>http://www.tuner2.com/
>>>

>>That does seem like a good idea to me. If you got other areas that we
>>can improve the the promotion of free media formats,  do post to the
>>fedora-marketing list.
>>

>So to get a good start at promoting open formats how about we make an
>exhaustive list of websites which are either offering open format
>streams or open format files for purchase.
>
>My offering to such a list are:
>
>http://www.mindawn.com/  ogg and flac music to purchase
>http://www.telltaleweekly.org/   audiobooks in mp3/aac AND ogg
>
>Anyone else know of any other interesting places to get ogg vorbis legally?

It doesnt really stop there.  Ogg music stations. Creative commons
licensed stuff.  Gaming cards that dont require a proprietary driver.
Wireless drivers that are known to work nicely with mainline kernel
support. Anything at all that helps us promote the use of Free and open
source software and help people stay away from the "Forbidden Items"
should be considered. Lets talk about them all

regards