Unfortunate articles

Marc Wiriadisastra marc.w at smlintl.com.au
Tue Aug 23 01:23:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 21:21 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 09:13 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> > Well slightly off topic but over the weekend I managed to upgrade my FC3
> > -> FC4 box without any major hassles.  Just transferring old configs to
> > new configs.  So to say that yum doesn't have a dist-upgrade option
> > would definately be incorrect imo.
> >

> I disagree. A lot.
>
> The problem is that yum can't run outside of your installed system.
> There are MANY things yum can't do b/c it cannot know what state your
> system and/or the hw is in.

I'm confused completely with that because it would know from previous
files what the situation is in a generic form as in it would install the
any packages that need upgrading.  Any config files that need changes
you can manually change what other section in that am I missing?  Maybe
I'm just to dopey to understand?

Regards

Marc