Logo -- dog wearing fedora hat with blue gradient "box" in front, then zoom in on box ...

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 01:57:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 20:28 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 18:55 -0500, Patrick Barnes wrote:

> > the involvement of the hat is another story.  That's a no-can-do.
>
> ???  Would Red Hat(R) claim copyright  ???  If so, why?  I mean, Fedora
> is already a trademark and it has guidelines, set by Red Hat.  So I
> don't see a problem for something distributed under those guidelines.

I'm going to pull the usual and ask you to read the list archives, where
this has been beaten to death. Red Hat has a trademark of Shadowan, of a
man wearing a fedora hat.  Red Hat has to defend that trademark in order
to continue to be allowed to own the trademark.  That's trademark law.

> Why did Red Hat stick with the name "Fedora" if it can't be a hat???

Maybe a different name would be better, but it's a little late for that.

> > Personally, I like retrievers and shepherds more, but I guess we'd just
> > have to see what people could come up with.  I'll leave it at that for now.
>
> Agreed.  I think the "element" makes a good tag/collar regardless.
>
> Anyone disagree?
> Please do speak up (AFAIAC, this should not be the "get along" list).

I still like Luya's logo, it has such subtlety to it ... but I bet it
doesn't make it past the designers.

Barring that, the element looking embossed or like a sapphire with a
wrought iron border and a little ring on the top to hook onto the
collar.  Like an alchemist's element.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide