Logo -- let's move on ... the legal loophole of "Fedora(TM)" for Red Hat

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Aug 24 02:53:27 UTC 2005

> Unless you are a lawyer and  have a great amount of knowledge about
> trademarks, you are trying to second guess a professional legal team who
> are much more concerned about such issues from a business point of view.

You're damn straight.  I'm really concerned that the word "Fedora" can
and will become an enforcement issue for Red Hat.  Why hasn't anyone
else thought of this?

The whole reason I thought the Fedora Foundation could even continue use
the word "Fedora" as a trademark was because Red Hat would maintain
control over it, or somehow authorize/license the Fedora Foundation.  If
that is not the case, illustrations are not the problem!

> This is not a mailing list for legal discussions. Kindly take it elsewhere

Okay, which list?  Seriously, this is a serious, serious issue.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do a lot of consulting all over the US and sign
dozens of contracts a year.  Some of them deal with the serious misuse
of trademarks, so I'm a bit dumbfounded.

If I'm running the Fedora Foundation, it would be my #1 concern right
now.  I'm being 0% argumentative.  What is the guarantee that the Fedora
Foundation does not have its trademark become the victim of enforcement
issues?

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com