Who's the Fedora user?

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Aug 24 21:01:42 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>Actually she has more than that, I'm proactively telling her about
>'cool' new projects that I think might interest her. How do we expose
>that to the general userbase at large? Can we collect 'personal
>interests' and as things get added to Extras we fire off emails to
>users who's personal interests overlap with the focus of the new
>application package?
>
>-jef
>-jef

I think having interests lists is a great idea, but I'm not sure that
what you are thinking of is really something we should tackle.  What
might be good for us is a small set of documents (I'm thinking in the
wiki) that go over what users with particular interests might like to
look in to.  What I'm thinking:

/Interests
    List of various interests
/Interests/Photos
    List of packages and tools to look at for art and photos, eg. The Gimp
/Interests/Music
    List of packages and tools to look at for music playback and
editing, eg. audacity
/Interests/Cooking
    List of packages and tools to look at for cooking, eg. krecipes

I really don't think that collecting lists of users interests and
sending out mailings would work out well.  It would take too many
resources to manage, IMHO.  A third-party, distro-neutral site might be
able to do this.  At least with this method, people could subscribe to
the wiki pages they are interested in.
--

Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com