Who's the Fedora user?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 25 17:47:16 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
> They might be not very competitive 3D shooter ones but
> there are certainly many games for Linux.

Excuse me?

The Linux binary for Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 comes
in-the-box.  The latest box set has the 64-bit version for
Linux which _outperforms_ the 64-bit version for Windows
(because of how poorly XP 64-bit Edition works, the 64-bit
version for Windows is _slower_ than the 32-bit version).

> I am sure other gamers could point to you several Linux
> gaming websites for more.

There are about 50 major game ports for Linux.  Most of them
are 2-3 years old before the Linux binary appeared.

As far as GPL/Open Source game engines, yes, they are not
leading edge.  But some of them aren't half-bad.