Who's the Fedora user?

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Aug 25 22:19:12 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>On 24/08/05, Patrick Barnes wrote:
>

>>One of the complaints we hear the most is about games that do not work.
>>Because Windows and Linux are different operating systems, Linux cannot
>>run programs that were built for Windows.
>>

>Old Linux games don't work either, since newbies simply don't know
>where to get missing compatibility libraries.

I really haven't seen this as a problem.  Most games that are available
for Linux will run on current Fedora versions, even without
compatibility libraries.  Take a look at the selection in Extras, and
visit happypenguin.org.  The few that do require compatibility libraries
will usually work on a Fedora full install anyway, thanks to the
inclusion of the compat libs.

>>As an alternative, there are
>>many games available for Linux. A lot of these are available as packages
>>for Red Hat's distribution. There is a big advantage here: they're free!
>>

>Please don't turn your reply into a joke. "There are many games
>available for Linux"? Huh? Really? Linux is not even at the beginning
>of being a competitor in the games market.

No joke.  There may not be the same kind of selection for Linux as there
is for Windows, but there are plenty to keep you busy for a while.  If
you go looking for a specific game, you might be disappointed, but open
your eyes and you'll find a lot of fun games.

>>If there are games for Windows that you really want to get running, you
>>can look into Transgaming's Cedega. This is a commercial program that
>>may be able to get some of your Windows games running under Linux.
>>

>Do you have special experience with this to back up your "may be able"
>theory? I would be very (!) careful with a statement/recommendation
>like that.

It is proven software.  I say "may be able" because she might try to run
games that won't work, but Cedega does a pretty good job with most
Windows games, and I have seen proof of that first-hand.

>>One of the best ways to really get moving with Linux is to get in touch
>>with the community.
>>

>Right. And seek for a real dialogue, not just poorly written letters
>which lack any details and give the impression of somebody doing some
>role-playing.

Now that's just rude.  I would like to see you write a better letter
given the limited amount of information.  The fact that you chose to
nitpick on the games shows where your interests are.  It would be
foolish to attempt to go into greater detail regarding the games.  As
far as role-playing, I would like to know just what role you think I am
playing.  I am a gamer, a Linux expert, and I handle a lot of end-user
support, including support for gamers.  I am not playing in any sense.
This is a subject I am very familiar with, and it is the kind of thing I
deal with on a regular basis.  If you deem yourself so qualified to
judge in such a manner, lets see your credentials.

My letter was provided for reference only.  There is no need to start a
drawn-out thread arguing back and forth on its merits or shortcomings.
If you don't like it, you are free to ignore it, just like everyone else
is.  If you think you can do a better job, you are free to write your
own letter and provide it for review.  I don't care to argue about it.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com