[Re: Fedora Foundation around the world]

Jeremy Hogan jeremy.hogan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:04:40 UTC 2005

FWIW I think #1 is counter to the point of Fedora. If we do it right,
this won't need to be true. In fact, Red Hat's (real and perceived)
holding on so tightly to the reigns is probably 80% of what's not gone
right with this project.

There is tremendous power to a mix of RH and non-RH spokespeople, the
most obvious of which is that folks have to take anything a RH staff
member says with the "publicly held always-for-profit" grain of salt.
As long as the spokespeople are informed, or can easily be in touch
with RH for coaching/info/feedback, RH's message will be part of the
Fedora message. Otherwise we will continue to re-inforce that this
project is purely for the benefit of, and at the whim of RH.

Fedora has to appear free to become something other than what RH
dictates, or else it is nothing but a RHEL beta.

The important thing is that we are in sync with RH on what the core
message is, and how to speak about RHs involvement. If we trust the
message, we can trust the messenger.

--jeremy