Mailing lists, redux

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Dec 2 19:09:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:40 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> 1. Continuing to host mailing lists at Red Hat.  This is the easiest
> option, and considering that Red Hat sponsors lots of mailing lists, no
> big deal, really.  We've got a good infrastructure for getting them
> created relatively quickly.

This seems like the best to me.  As you say there is lots of
infrastructure, and past has proved that RH can allow non at redhat people
administrate the lists.  It also ensures the same sort of look/feel of
all the lists involved.

> 2. Move mailing lists to fedoraproject.org.  Other than independence from
> redhat.com, what does this buy us?  What is this independence from
> redhat.com worth?  And is Seth even willing/able to maintain this?

Seems this would just be a perception thing.  There may be cases where
software upgrades might happen quicker, but I don't really know if that
is a real issue or not.  Also it puts a lot of expectation on Seth.  I'd
want to wait until there is more resources surrounding fedoraproject.org
before wholesale cutover.  But thats just my opinion.

> 3. Have mailing lists anywhere and everywhere; whoever wants to set up a
> mailing list can set up a mailing list, and we can link them all and note
> them as "authoritative project list" or not as we see fit.

I don't like this idea at all.  Decentralized, difficult to aggregate,
user non-intuitive, etc...

Was I helpful?  Let others know: