[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Mailing lists, redux

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> OK, so we need to come to a decision on how Fedora mailing lists will work
> as we grow, because we're starting to get requests from various folks to
> start them up.
> We've got the following options to consider:
> 1. Continuing to host mailing lists at Red Hat.  This is the easiest 
> option, and considering that Red Hat sponsors lots of mailing lists, no 
> big deal, really.  We've got a good infrastructure for getting them 
> created relatively quickly.
> 2. Move mailing lists to fedoraproject.org.  Other than independence from 
> redhat.com, what does this buy us?  What is this independence from 
> redhat.com worth?  And is Seth even willing/able to maintain this?
> 3. Have mailing lists anywhere and everywhere; whoever wants to set up a 
> mailing list can set up a mailing list, and we can link them all and note
> them as "authoritative project list" or not as we see fit.
> Let's get some answers, and quick.  I've got 3 requests for mailing lists 
> @redhat.com waiting on the burner. 
> --g
> _____________________  ____________________________________________
>   Greg DeKoenigsberg ] [ the future masters of technology will have
>  Community Relations ] [ to be lighthearted and intelligent.  the
>              Red Hat ] [ machine easily masters the grim and the 
>                      ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan
> --
> Fedora-marketing-list mailing list
> Fedora-marketing-list redhat com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-marketing-list
My first instinct is to vote for #2.  I like the long-term goal of the
Fedora Project becoming more autonomous and independent -- or at least
giving that appearance.  I know it would take a great deal of effort to
move everything over, and I'm not sure we have the resources to do it at
this time.  Perhaps when there is more muscle behind fedoraproject.org,
we can pull this off.  I'm willing to go with #1 in the meantime. 
Something else that we might hear is that a difficult move is best to do
now and get it over with, and I would normally agree, but I'm not
convinced that we are really in the best position to pull it off right
now.  How about we go with #1 right now and, if the demand is present,
we review this in 6 months?

Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 n-man com


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]