Mailing lists, redux

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sat Dec 3 09:42:12 UTC 2005

Hi

>Is the perception that it ends in a redhat.com address?  What if it were
>lists.fedoraproject.org or something similar, but still ran on RH's
>hardware?  Just playing Devil's Advocate (:

Red Hat HW or bandwidth  is just fine because it has low visibility
compared to a domain name unless it highly advertised. How many know the
GNOME infrastructure that is provided by Red Hat for example? .  In
other words Red Hat can continue to donate whatever resources it wants
to while changing the perception drastically by moving the lists to
fedoraproject.org.  Community members external to Red Hat already
administrate several fedora lists and creating new lists is a quick
process so it doesnt really change anything but perception and is a
probably a lot of work involved in moving lists around while also having
to avoid the potential pitfall of not having enough administrators
behind it.

So what is the actual work involved if we decide to move the lists? Who
are the people with administrator access in fedoraproject.org?  Also who
is going to own it in the future?  The foundation would the logical choice.

regards