Fedora Tour

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 18:04:20 UTC 2005

On 12/12/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> It would be good to have a tour on Fedora in general highlighting the
> unique features as well as a more targeted version of it for Fedora Core
> 5 before its released to get more users interested?. What am I looking
> for is a series of screenshots or screencasts (
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ScreenCasting )  with simple explanations
> or voice overs.  Anyone want to get involved on that?

Is there a requirement that the tour videos must be produced using
tools inside Fedora and will there be a requirement that the tour
videos work out of the box on a default Fedora Core install?

Assuming the answers to both questions are yes.  Is the ximagesrc
gstreamer element that allows for display captures that istanbul uses
good enough to produce videos worth distributing?  There are some
performance problems last time a played with it. I wrote the
recommended settings section on that page to avoid some of those
issues, but the settings are quite limited, you can't encode what I
would call a normalish desktop size without running into frame drops.
gst-0.8.11 has landed in rawhide recently so I'd have to see if there
has been any performance improvements with the ximagesrc element.

And what exactly do you plan to do to encode the audio track?  The
contributed instructions on the wiki for voice encoding rely on
applications from outside the Fedora tree.  From my understanding this
is pretty tricky to do well.

-jef