Fedora review

Marc Wiriadisastra marc.w at smlintl.com.au
Sun Jul 24 02:57:06 UTC 2005

>> A tool to help to find repos must be Ok, we also provide
>> browser that know Google - and Google is also a tool to find such repos.
>> There must be at least some solution?
>
> Google is a tool to find anything... anywhere. A local user must
> initiate the communication with Google and must ask Google explicitly
> for things to search for.
> A tool designed only to find information about repos to help users
> obtain items we can't legally ship.. automatically... is totally
> different.
>
>> Well then we should not provide network access or browsers at all... and
>> no support for cd drives...
>
> Feel free to be as flippant as you want.. thats not going to change
> the fact that there are real legal issues here that Red Hat as the
> managing entity needs to be careful of.  If you can't take this
> seriously.. then please.. just be quiet.  Contributory infringement,
> involves a delibrate intent to knowingly aid others to infringe. I
> think its pretty damn clear that adding any tool that delibrately help
> users find additional repos and instantly configure them falls into
> the definition of contributory infringement.  A tool that just handles
> repo configs is very narrowly defined, its not a general use tool.
> Most if not all of the popular 3rd party repos out there are popular
> specifically because they provide material that Fedora can not.

One thing that has frustrated me is that we seem before to have just
turned a blind eye to the whole lot even though we know its there.  Only
now are we making it clearer as to the reasons why mp3's and the
propietary software are not supported.

However let me ask this is it illegal to add a 3rd party repo or is it
only illegal if the content on it is wrong?

I'm not being stupid I don't understand where the line is because I'm
lucky we don't have that law in Australia at the moment I'm sure that will
change.
If it isn't illegal to supply a repo then what is the problem in for
instance having a list of repo's for yumex like you said.