Logos: everybody wants one but nobody seems to have any constructive comments. (was Re: Cool Fedora schwag idea)

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Jul 1 13:37:16 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 7/1/05, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
>
>>this is something drawn about one year ago:
>>http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/fedora_logo_hat.png
>

> Sadly, its been deemed that anything with a hat is going to be unacceptable.
> We need to get a bit more abstract.

I understand the reasoning for "no hat" (this does not means I agree)
but this have not stopped me to try a different hat, a more abstract
one: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/simple_hat.png

> My suggestion is we have some sort of brainstorming excersize where
> all we do is come up with a bunch of words or phrases that describe
> fedora the project, and then go back and try to sketch out an icon to
> match something in that word/concept association list.  Without some
> sort of new focus, we are going to keep circling around "hats" because
> its just too damn obvious.

Well, no hat, no mascot, no fun. I believe a logo should be fun,
something people will *want* to put on their wallpaper, t-shirt, cap
etc. I expect if the official logo will not be fun enough (like the
actual http://fedora.redhat.com/images/header-fedora_logo.png) people
will just use some alternative ones, which they will consider fun enough
(for example I know of some uses of my alternate hats - the ones
published at
http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/people/clothing/hats )

I am pretty bad at English so I guess I will wait for such a description
of the project to be done and see if I find something fun in it.

--
nicu