Logos: everybody wants one but nobody seems to have any constructive comments. (was Re: Cool Fedora schwag idea)

Alex Maier lxmaier at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 20:11:53 UTC 2005

Did somebody say "abstract logo?"
http://www.fedora.info/

As I was reading through this thread, I kept trying to imagine what
logo ideas we might produce if the word "Fedora" did not have any
meaning at all...

What message do we want the logo to communicate to the people looking
at it? What is the one, maybe two, most important things about Fedora
that we want everybody to know about? What is it that makes Fedora
different from everybody else out there?

If we are to market the project to the potential contributors and the
distro to the users, we need a logo that would make them feel good
about being part of the project--by simply using it or by helping
build the distro.

I would like to suggest an open brainstorming session about what is
the one most important thing about Fedora. When (and if) we agree on
this one thing, the logo and the rest of the branding palette would be
easier to design. We can still throuw a blue puppy in at the end :)

So here is what I think Fedora stands for:

Balancing stability with innovation