Fedora review

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:15:21 UTC 2005

On 7/19/05, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
> I will agree that we need to do a better of job at answering questions
> like "why doesn't Fedora do this or that?" and getting the word out.  But
> the wiki is not necessarily the place to do that.

I personally, as a person, think that reviewers would most benefit
from a guided tour experience where the nicer or newer things are
highlighted and the consistently more contraversial items like the
lack of mp3 support are explained.  Other very new users would of
course benefit from such a guided tour.  Think of it as our highlight
reel. Provide access to the highlight reel on firstboot and later via
a menu item.  Being able to do this in a livecd format would make some
sense as well as providing the guided tour experience in the standard
desktop install.

I quick an dirty way to mock up some guided segments is to just come
up with a top ten list of tasks that we think 90% of "reviewers" going
to want to perform as part of their review process.. and then do a
quick video capture segment of starting with a default gnome desktop
and performing the task.  Using a small text editor or sticky note pad
window to type in text notes as you go.  We've seen some developers do
this in blog entries already.. i think you can do it to theora or svg,
I know you can do it with flash but we cant depend on flash since we
dont ship flash support...yet.   You could of course go further and do
semi-professional video editting with audio and translations, but as a
first cut the video captures of a desktop in use with simple text
notes in the video serves the purpose pretty well.

Of course, some reviewers LOVE to base their reviews on the final test
release so they can have their review out on the day of the final
release. Getting guided segments out soon enough to stick into the
face of the first reviewers is going to be tough.

-jef