Fedora review

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:47:03 UTC 2005

> On 7/20/05, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> > If you want to rough out and write up the basic HOWTO for this, how
> > about using the Wiki?  We can take that and DocBookify it down the road,
> > but having it be a living document that is not hidden in CVS would be
> > good.
>
> yeah i can do that.  The big issue right now is dropped frames because
> the cpu can't keep up with the requested image grabbing rate in some
> situations. I'm hoping to come up with a standard prescription with
> regard to desktop resolution, framerate, encoded image size for all
> videos being produced. This will imply a minimum cpu requirement to
> ensure no frame-drops using what we have available for
> gstreamer-plugins right now in rawhide.  I need to come up with a
> simple test for frame-dropping that aspiring video-makers can run
> quickly to see if their hardware is keeping up for the "standard"
> video configuration.  The ximagesrc gst element should improve over
> time so some of the issues here with regard to frame dropping should
> evaporate as part of rawhide churn towards fc5.
>
> I think long term you'll want to standardize on a low resolution
> desktop anyways so that you can encode to a reasonably sized image
> without loss of detail. 640x480 might be too small.. but 800x600 might
> be a reasonable desktop resolution to use when making task videos.

That might be as big as you'd want it to get, since the video might be
embedded in a web page that has to contain other bracketing information,
such as the f.r.c web site, a locally-installed facsimile thereof, or
just the user's screen if we have no way of predicting the resolution on
the box.  Font sizes, etc. may impact on the usability of the screenast,
so those may be good things to consider as well.