Fedora review

Thilo Pfennig tp at alternativ.net
Sat Jul 23 10:00:01 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, den 20.07.2005, 12:46 -0400 schrieb Jeff Spaleta:

> I think you are wrong about where the grey line is.  My personal
> understanding is that nothing distributed by default can pull  in
> outside package sources to choose from or it has the potential to run
> afoul of the definition of "contributory infringement".

So yumex must be escluded from fedora extras because it can import
Repos? That can't be it.

>  But people would still have to google to find those repositories.

Why? Can't a Fedora application use the Google API to get the results?
It can't be forbidden to help people. If he start here, where does this
end? Do not provide bookmarks, because in China some news sites may be
forbidden? I don't see an end of censorship if there can no be at least
some hint. A tool to help to find repos must be Ok, we also provide
browser that know Google - and Google is also a tool to find such repos.
There must be at least some solution?

>  Fedora
> can not link to a site explicitly meant to connect users to items
> Fedora itself can not legally distribute without risking "contributory
> infringement" claims if those outside repos trafficking in items not
> legally distributable under US law.

Well then we should not provide network access or browsers at all... and
no support for cd drives...

What about a page in a tool that describes what is not possible and
links to a further page and this page links to a google search - and
this google search gives the result of a rpm-package that enables toe
possibility for enabling more repositories. (not to make it
complicated ... ;-) ) So the information is not on the CD and not at the
official Fedora site. A google search result can easily be interated
into an application. That information than is provided by Google and not
by Fedora.

Thilo

--
http://www.alternativ.net/~vinci