mentors

Marc Wiriadisastra marc.w at smlintl.com.au
Thu Jul 28 06:36:52 UTC 2005

I don't know if this should be in this mailing list but if not please
point me to where it should be.  Now everyone knows that the more people
help out whether thats packaging or coding or even in the marketing
section the better Fedora will be.

I just was browsing around thinking about this and I came across a debian
How you can help page.  Reading through it to see how the other camp deal
with growing the contributors to the overall OS I noticed they have
several mailing lists.  Now I know I know we have mailing lists as well.
However they have a mailing list called debian-mentors now for me I was
surprised.

I personally have spent numerous days learning how to build rpm's as well
as trying to follow the fedora package naming and layout conventions and I
thought wouldn't that be a great idea.  If someone is interested in
learning provided they don't waste peoples time by actually WANTING to
contribute maybe a mentors list go get them from a newbie/basic
contributor to an active member of the support/devel crew.

If and I specify if people are willing to mentor couldn't we grow the
contributors in that way.  I say marketing because in the process of
growing the contributors we could grow the marketing by saying we need you
to help make this OS better and here's how you can learn to help.

I saw it happen with the bugs people (bad way to describe it) in Fedora
marketing that they need bugs people, wouldn't it be more logical in
promoting a common location and advertising the fact of who's helping out.
 It might be a great way of getting more people involved.

I don't know if its feasible I'm just throwing ideas out there.

--
Regards

Marc Wiriadisastra